Sometimes, you accidentally deleted several important emails from your Hotmail mailbox. Don’t worry, you can often recover it.
Table of content
The first, you need login to hotmail. When you are logged in successfully, you will see the following interface.
When you accidentally delete an email message from your Outlook on the web email, you can recover those items if they’re still in your Deleted Items folder, and in some cases, you can even recover items after the Deleted Items folder is emptied. You can also recover deleted contacts.
You can recover a deleted folder (with all of its messages) if it’s still in your Deleted Items folder. Unfortunately, you can’t recover a folder that’s been permanently deleted. But you can use the steps in this topic to recover messages that were in a folder when it was permanently deleted.
Recover email that’s still in your Deleted Items folder
When you delete an email message, a contact, a calendar item, or a task, it’s moved to the Deleted Items folder in your mailbox. If you’re trying to find a message that was deleted, the Deleted Items folder is the first place to look. If the message is there, here’s how to recover it:
- In your email folder list, select Deleted Items and do one of the following:
- To restore a message to your Inbox, right-click the item and then select Move > Inbox.
- To restore a message to a different folder, right-click the item, and select Move > Move to a different folder. Next specify a folder location, and then select Move.
TIP: If you delete a folder, it’s moved to the Deleted Items folder and appears as a subfolder. To recover it (and all the items it contains), right-click the deleted folder, click Move, and then select a folder to move it to.
Recover email that’s no longer in your Deleted Items folder
If you can’t find an item in the Deleted Items folder, the next place to look is the Recoverable Items folder.
- In the left pane of the Outlook.com window, select the Deleted Items folder.
- At the top of the window, select Recover deleted items.
- Select the item you want, and then select Recover.
Where do recovered items go? The items you select to recover will be restored to their original folders when possible. If an original folder no longer exists, items will be restored as follows:
- Messages go to your Inbox.
- Calendar items go to your Calendar.
- Contacts go to your Contacts folder.
- Tasks go to your Tasks folder.
NOTE: You also can purge items that are shown in the Recover deleted items dialog box. Select the item, and then select Purge. If you purge an item, you can’t use Recover deleted items to get it back.
Empty the Deleted Items folder when you sign out
When you delete a message, it’s first moved to the Deleted Items folder. You can let messages stay there until you remove them or you can set Outlook on the web to automatically empty your Deleted Items folder each time you sign out.
To empty the Deleted Items folder when you sign out:
- Select Settings > Options, which opens the Options panel on the left. Under Mail, select Message options.
- Select the Empty the Deleted Items folder when I sign out check box, and then select Save.